The Best Portable Grills
Discover the freedom of flavorful meals on-the-go with our top picks for portable grills. Wherever adventure takes you, sizzling delights await!
Embarking on an outdoor adventure doesn’t mean leaving the luxury of grilled delicacies behind. With the rise of portable grills, campfire meals have been elevated from simple marshmallows and hot dogs to gourmet delights. Whether you’re setting up camp in the wild, tailgating at a game, or just grilling in a small urban space, the right portable grill is your ticket to culinary excellence. Dive into our curated list of top portable grills and discover how easy and satisfying it is to take your grilling game on the road.
WHAT TO LOOK
- Fuel Type: Determine whether you prefer a gas (propane), charcoal, electric, or biomass (like wood pellets) grill. Each has its own advantages. Gas grills heat up quickly, charcoal grills offer a distinct flavor, electric grills are convenient where outlets are available, and biomass grills can be ideal for true outdoor enthusiasts.
- Grill Size and Cooking Area: Consider how much food you’ll typically be grilling at one time. If you often cook for larger groups or want to grill larger items like roasts, you’ll need a bigger cooking surface.
- Portability: For those on the move, the grill’s weight and ease of transport are crucial. Some grills come with foldable legs or carrying handles, while others might be heavier but offer wheels.
- Build Quality & Materials: Look for grills made with high-quality materials, such as stainless steel or cast iron, for durability and longevity. The materials also play a role in heat retention and distribution.
- Temperature Control: Check if the grill offers adjustable heat settings or vents. This is essential for cooking different types of food effectively.
- Ease of Cleaning: Grills with removable grates or drip trays can be easier to clean. Some grills also feature a non-stick surface, which can be a significant advantage.
- Ignition System: For gas grills, a reliable ignition system (like an electronic or push-button start) can be a great convenience.
- Accessories & Features: Some grills come with additional features like side shelves, hooks for tools, or even compatibility with interchangeable cook surfaces like griddles.
- Safety: Ensure the grill is stable to prevent tipping. If it’s a gas grill, check for quality connections and hoses to prevent gas leaks.
- Price & Warranty: Establish a budget beforehand and try to get the best value within that range. Also, check if the grill comes with a warranty or guarantee, which can be an indicator of the manufacturer’s confidence in the product.
- Customer Reviews: Before making a purchase, it’s always a good idea to read reviews from other users to get insights into the product’s performance and any potential issues.
- Compact and lightweight.
- Features a large cooking area and porcelain-enameled cast-iron grates.
- Runs on disposable liquid propane cylinders.
Description: Travel light with the Weber Q1000, a compact grill that doesn’t compromise on cooking space. Crafted with porcelain-enameled cast-iron grates, it ensures even heating and easy cleanup. Conveniently powered by disposable propane cylinders, it’s your go-to for on-the-move feasts.
- Provides a spacious cooking area with collapsible design for easy transport.
- Comes with interchangeable cooktops (griddle, stove grates, or full grill).
- Has an insta-start ignition for push-button, matchless lighting.
Description: Adventure without limits with Coleman’s RoadTrip LXE. Its spacious grill area collapses for easy transport, while interchangeable cooktops—from griddles to stove grates—let you diversify your dishes. Lighting up is a breeze with its insta-start ignition.
- Compact design with foldable legs and a briefcase-style handle.
- Offers a decent-sized cooking area suitable for smaller groups.
- Features a twist-start ignition and porcelain-enameled cooking grate.
Description: Embrace elegance on the go with Cuisinart’s CGG-180. Its compact, briefcase-style design unfolds to reveal a cooking area perfect for intimate gatherings. With a twist-start ignition and porcelain-enameled grates, it marries convenience with class.
- Ideal for breakfast foods, burgers, and more.
- Features a cold-rolled steel griddle top and convenient size for mobility.
- Easy to use with electric ignition and a built-in grease catcher.
Description: Rise and sizzle with Blackstone’s Table Top Grill. Designed for everything from breakfast to burgers, its cold-rolled steel griddle top ensures consistent heating. Compact yet robust, its electric ignition and grease catcher make for hassle-free grilling.
- Burns biomass (twigs, pinecones) and converts heat into electricity to charge devices.
- Portable and smokeless with a lightweight design.
- Ideal for backpacking trips and minimalists.
Description: Step into sustainable camping with the BioLite CampStove 2. This innovative grill uses biomass like twigs for fuel, converting the heat into electricity to power your devices. Lightweight and smokeless, it’s the ideal companion for backpackers and eco-conscious travelers.
- Offers a large cooking surface and non-stick coating.
- Features an adjustable temperature control and removable stand for countertop or ground use.
- Suitable for both camping trips and backyard BBQs.
Description: Versatility meets size with the George Foreman 12-serving grill. Whether you’re at a campsite or in your backyard, its expansive non-stick surface, adjustable temperature, and removable stand cater to both explorers and homebodies alike.
For those with an insatiable appetite for adventure and flavor, portable grills are the game-changer. From the compact and efficient Weber Q1000 to the versatile Coleman RoadTrip LXE and the eco-friendly BioLite CampStove 2, the world of portable grilling offers something for every outdoor enthusiast. Whether you’re tailgating, camping, or simply grilling on a city balcony, these top-tier portable grills ensure that mouthwatering dishes are just a flame away. Dive into our comprehensive guide and discover which grill fires up your culinary wanderlust.